Monday, October 1, 2007

Who Knew that "Foil" Had so Many Meanings?

Mom let me off of regular school today, I only have to do my L.A. test. I am so lucky, aren't I. I get also get to work on my quilts. My baby quilt has to be finished by next Monday(for those that didn't know, I'm in the Nacogdoches Quilt Guild), and my other full sized quilt has to be finished by April, so I've got lots of time. Oh, yeah, and I have to do blogging also. I'm doing it!
What do you all think of my solution to the North-South problem? It might not be very practical, but hey! I fixed the problem, didn't I? On to other problems. Does anyone know the exact definition of a "foil"? No, I'm not talking about that weird metal called aluminum foil(did anyone other that me know that aluminum foil is wierd?). I'm talking about foils in the characteristic sense. As in, protagonist, antagonist, and foil. I come up with the weirdest questions, don't you think? Here is the exact definition from the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary. (Now I have to find it)They actually don't have the definition that I'm looking for, so onto the encyclopedias! That's very strange, the encyclopedia doesn't have it either. Where to look next. I'll search it on Google. "A foil is a secondary character who contrasts with a major character and, in so doing, highlights various facets of the main character's personality." That is an exact quote from the Wikipedia thing. I don't think that I'll put the rest of it on here, seeing as it goes on for about one page. They also put in things like, several examples, first of just random people from random books, and then examples from things like, classic literature, which seems to be mostly from Shakespeare. Then from pop culture(why they call it that I have no idea, I guess tha that would be another thing to ponder), things like Star Wars, and Harry Potter. Alright, enough about foils, though I could tell you about the other kinds of foils. Never mind, that would just take up more space.
My test on L.A. includes writing an essay on a short story called "Luck of Roaring Camp". Maybe I'll just make a whole other blog just to put my essays on, that would be nice, I'll think about it. Well, I'll just be getting back to essaying, is that a word? I suppose it is, seeing that it isn't under lined. I'll get back to things tomorrow. TTFN, ta ta for now! Oh yeah, I forgot about comics, here they are.
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/2007/ga071001.gif

http://www.ucomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2007/09/30/
http://www.ucomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2007/10/01/


Red Baron
P.S. I noticed that Ellentia has a new blog, so I'm going to fix the side bar.

4 comments:

Petr said...

"A foil" as opposed to "foil" would be the summation of that long speech, right? I have to admit, I've never heard of "a foil".

Anonymous said...

Ooh, will you put up a picture of your quilt when it's finished? It's neat that you get to be in the Quilt Guild. That sounds like fun. I still have cloth waiting in Oklahoma for me from the trip when we came in May, so I'll have a quilt to work on when I get back.

Unknown said...

yes - you could post the mexico letter now that it's finished....Hope to see your quilt soon!

Aunt Susan

Anonymous said...

Where is that new post? You are several days late.

The quilt top is supposed to be finished by Monday. I wonder if it will be, as tomorrow is soccer for most of the day.

We wait to see what is next.